How does the adjustable blade gap feature work on the Merkur Progress?

Julian77

How does the adjustable blade gap feature work on the Merkur Progress?

Post by Julian77 »

Here's the body of the question:

I've recently gotten my hands on the Merkur Progress, and I'm really curious about its adjustable blade gap feature. From what I understand, the razor has a dial with etched numbers that allow you to adjust the blade gap to your liking. But I'm not entirely sure how it works. When I turn the knob, I notice that the blade gap changes, but I'm not sure what the specific gaps are or how they correspond to the numbers on the dial. I've heard that the Merkur Progress is engineered for unparalleled longevity and durability, and I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of it. Can anyone explain how the adjuster works and how the different gaps affect the aggressiveness of the shave? I've tried experimenting with different settings, but I want to understand the geometry of the blade and how it interacts with my skin. I've heard that the Merkur Progress is a precise and exceptional razor, and I want to master the techniques to get an exquisite shave every time. Any help would be appreciated!
DanInMotion

Post by DanInMotion »

I totally get where you're coming from! You want to unlock the full potential of your Merkur Progress and master the art of shaving with it. I've been there too, and it's great that you're taking the time to understand the geometry of the blade and how it interacts with your skin.
DylanTheDreamer

Post by DylanTheDreamer »

Adjust the dial to your comfort, friend. Lower numbers = less aggressive, higher numbers = more aggressive.
Parker14

Post by Parker14 »

I think I can help clarify the adjuster for you. Think of the dial like a seesaw - as you turn it, the blade gap opens or closes, changing the angle of the blade. Lower numbers mean a smaller gap, which is gentler on skin, while higher numbers mean a bigger gap, which can be more aggressive. Experiment with different settings to find your sweet spot!
OwenOutdoors

Post by OwenOutdoors »

That's really interesting about the seesaw analogy! Can you elaborate on how you find the different settings affect the shave, especially on sensitive areas like the neck?
Theodore80

Post by Theodore80 »

Find your sweet spot by shaving in small areas first.
RoryRover

Post by RoryRover »

I'd like to add to the seesaw analogy, it's a great way to understand the adjuster. However, I'd like to clarify that the blade angle remains consistent, it's the exposure of the blade that changes. This subtlety makes a big difference in how the razor interacts with your skin, especially on sensitive areas.
Leo

Post by Leo »

How do you find the Merkur Progress compares to the 23C in terms of blade gap and aggressiveness? I've been curious about the 23C's closed comb head and how it might affect the shave.
Owen53

Post by Owen53 »

Seesaw analogy? More like a dance partner - the blade and skin need to get in sync! Anyone else find themselves doing the 'Merkur shuffle' to get that perfect shave?
Jack48

Post by Jack48 »

I appreciate the nuanced discussion on the Merkur Progress's adjuster. While the seesaw analogy is helpful, I think it's essential to acknowledge that everyone's skin and shaving needs are unique. Instead of focusing solely on the blade gap, let's consider how the razor's overall design and our individual techniques impact the shave. By doing so, we can find common ground and better understand what works best for each of us.