Review of Gillette Mach 3

BenBookworm

Review of Gillette Mach 3

Post by BenBookworm »

As someone who has used various razors over the years, I was excited to try the Gillette Mach 3, given its strong reputation. Here's my detailed review based on personal experience and the features highlighted by the brand.

The Gillette Mach 3 is a triple-blade cartridge razor that has been a staple in the shaving industry since its release in 1998. Over the years, it has seen updates like the Mach 3 Turbo, but the original still garners a lot of praise, and for good reason.

First off, the blades are exceptionally sharp and durable. According to the manufacturer, they are stronger than steel, which means they stay sharp longer. I found that each cartridge comfortably lasted for up to 15 shaves, living up to this claim. The open design of the cartridge made cleaning effortless; a simple rinse under running water was enough to dislodge hair and shaving cream residues.

One of the standout features is the lubrication strip, or "lubrastrip," which enhances the glide, making for a smoother shave. It significantly reduces skin irritation, a boon for someone like me who has sensitive skin prone to redness. Along with the lubrastrip, the razor has Microfins—a skin protector that stretches the skin and prepares the hair for cutting. This thoughtful design improved the closeness of my shave, leaving my skin smooth and irritation-free.

The handle is another impressive aspect. Made from genuine brass and chrome-plated, it feels premium and is expertly balanced. The weight (96.4 grams) and length (14 cm) gave it a perfect heft that fit comfortably in my hand. The 3D motion handle with a secondary pivot was especially useful for navigating tricky areas around the jawline and under the nose. The grip was secure even when wet, thanks to the knurling on the handle.

Performance-wise, the Mach 3 provided a consistently great shave. I typically need only a two-pass shave to achieve a smooth, close finish, which is a significant time-saver for daily use. I also appreciated that it accommodated alternative blades, like those from Tesco or ASDA, which are more cost-effective and still fit the Mach 3 handle.

However, there are some drawbacks. The price of cartridges is relatively high, especially considering that the product has long paid off its R&D costs. While the original pricing was around £3.50 for four cartridges, it has now almost doubled. Subscription options are available, but it's still not as economical as some store-brand alternatives. For instance, Tesco and ASDA offer comparable blades at much lower prices.

In conclusion, the Gillette Mach 3 remains an excellent choice for anyone looking for a reliable and efficient razor. Its sharp, durable blades, comfortable handle, and features designed to protect the skin make it well worth considering. Despite the higher cost of cartridges, the performance and ease of use justify the investment. If budget is a concern, there are suitable alternatives that work with the Mach 3 handle, allowing you to enjoy the best of both worlds.
Ryan87

Post by Ryan87 »

Highly insightful and detailed review!
HarrisHiker

Post by HarrisHiker »

Fantastic and thorough review!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Great review! I appreciate your thoroughness. Perhaps adding a comparison of shave quality between original and alternative blades would be helpful. Overall, an excellent and insightful review!
Elliot38

Post by Elliot38 »

Really thorough review! How do the alternative blades compare in comfort and longevity?
Landon22

Post by Landon22 »

Thank you for the fantastic review! It really helps me make an informed decision. Truly appreciate the effort!