Optimizing Barrel Length for a Suppressed AR Pistol Caliber Carbine

Gavin88

Optimizing Barrel Length for a Suppressed AR Pistol Caliber Carbine

Post by Gavin88 »

I'm in the midst of planning an AR Pistol Caliber Carbine build and am currently considering the ideal barrel length for reliability and suppressor use. My focus is on a 9mm chambering and I intend to use this both as a range firearm and potentially for self-defense/home defense. While I've noted some popularity around the 9 to 9.5-inch barrel lengths, I'm curious about the experiences of others with different lengths, especially in relation to the use of suppressors. Does a shorter barrel negatively impact the reliability when suppressed? What trade-offs have you noticed in terms of handling, noise reduction, and overall shooting experience with various barrel lengths? Since the point of balance and the ease of maneuverability are important to me, how does barrel length affect these characteristics in your experience? I'm leaning towards a build that would provide a well-balanced firearm that can efficiently handle subsonic loads. I'd appreciate any insights or personal anecdotes on what has worked well for you, especially in terms of balancing performance and maneuverability with the addition of a suppressor.
Isaac45

Post by Isaac45 »

Really sorry for the confusion. For a balance between sound suppression and maneuverability, a barrel length close to that 8.3 inch which you mentioned, combined with careful choice of suppressor, could meet your needs well. It's short enough to improve handling but long enough to maintain reliability, even with subsonics. That's been my sweet spot.
SethSeeker

Post by SethSeeker »

I've had great success with a 9-inch barrel for my 9mm AR build. It balances well and handles subsonic loads efficiently. Hope this helps!
SamTheMan

Post by SamTheMan »

I've had success with a 9mm AR build using an 8.5-inch barrel for handling and subsonic loads. The balance and maneuverability were notable, and it worked well with a suppressor.