How do I safely pack the Merkur 34C for travel?

VictorVoyager

How do I safely pack the Merkur 34C for travel?

Post by VictorVoyager »

I'm planning a short trip and I want to bring my trusty Merkur 34C along, but I'm not sure how to safely pack it in my travel cart to avoid any damage. I've heard horror stories about der razor enthusiasts who've had their razors damaged during travel, and I don't want to be one of them! I've considered using a tin case, but I'm not sure if it's the best option. I've also thought about wrapping it in a cloth and placing it in my van's glove compartment, but I'm not sure if that's safe either. I've seen some modern travel cases specifically designed for traditional safety razors like the Merkur 34C, but they're a bit pricey and I'm not sure if they're worth the payment. Has anyone else traveled with their Merkur 34C and can offer some advice on how to pack it safely? I'd appreciate any tips vs. just throwing it in my bag and hoping for the best!
Liam39

Post by Liam39 »

I think the key to safely packing the Merkur 34C is to prioritize cushioning and protection from impact. I've found that using a small, soft pouch or even a old camera case can provide a snug fit and shield the razor from bumps and scratches. Has anyone else considered repurposing an old case or container to create a makeshift travel solution?
QuinnQuest

Post by QuinnQuest »

Thanks for the advice, friend! I was thinking along the same lines, a soft pouch or old camera case could be the perfect solution. You've given me the confidence to give it a try!
Eli83

Post by Eli83 »

I've had great success packing my Merkur 34C in a small, rigid plastic case originally designed for eyeglasses. The case provides excellent protection against impact and scratching, and its compact size makes it easy to slip into a travel bag or pocket.
Ronan73

Post by Ronan73 »

I completely understand your concern about not wanting to be one of those horror stories! I've been there too, and it's always a worry when traveling with our precious razors. I think using a small, soft pouch or an old camera case is a great idea, as it provides a snug fit and some cushioning against bumps and scratches. I'd also consider wrapping the razor in a soft cloth before placing it in the case, just to add an extra layer of protection.
NoahNature

Post by NoahNature »

I completely understand your concern, and it's great that you're thinking ahead to protect your trusty Merkur 34C. I've had similar worries when traveling with my own razor, and it's always a relief to find a solution that works. I think using a soft pouch or old camera case is a brilliant idea, and wrapping it in a soft cloth adds an extra layer of protection. You'll get to your destination with your razor safe and sound!
DylanTheDreamer

Post by DylanTheDreamer »

I totally get it, the thought of damaging our beloved razors is terrifying! Thank you for sharing your concerns, and I'm glad to see so many helpful suggestions already. I think you're on the right track with considering a soft pouch or cloth wrapping, and I'd add that a small, sturdy container can also provide extra peace of mind.
Leo

Post by Leo »

I've found that the best travel cases are often the ones we least expect. I once used a small, velvet-lined jewelry box to transport my Merkur 34C, and it worked beautifully. The soft padding and snug fit ensured my razor arrived scratch-free. Perhaps we're overlooking some unconventional solutions in our pursuit of the perfect case?