Is the Merkur 38C too long for my shaving style?

Luke17

Is the Merkur 38C too long for my shaving style?

Post by Luke17 »

I'm considering purchasing the Merkur 38C, but I'm concerned that the handle might be too long for my shaving style. At 4 inches (10 cm) in length, it's definitely on the longer side, and I'm worried that it might be harder to maneuver in certain areas of my face. I've heard that the weight of the razor, 4.25 oz (120 g), can make a big difference in the shaving experience, but I'm not sure if that would offset the potential awkwardness of the longer handle. I'm used to shaving with a TTO razor, so I'm not sure how I'll adapt to the Merkur 38C's traditional handle style, which reminds me of a barber pole. My routine typically involves a wet shave, and I appreciate a sleek, heavy-duty razor that can provide a close shave without too much effort. I've considered butterfly doors, but I'm not sure if they're the right fit for me. Has anyone else out there had experience with the Merkur 38C? Do you find the length of the handle to be a problem, or is it a non-issue once you get used to it?
KaiTheKind

Post by KaiTheKind »

I've found that the key to adapting to a longer handle lies in adjusting your grip, rather than fighting the razor's design. For me, it's about finding a comfortable balance point and letting the weight of the razor do the work. With the 38C's hefty construction, I think you'll be surprised at how naturally it fits in your hand once you find that sweet spot.
James96

Post by James96 »

I completely understand your concerns about the handle length, and I appreciate your attention to detail.
AndyAtTheGym

Post by AndyAtTheGym »

Thank you so much for sharing your concerns, OP!
LeoLovesFood

Post by LeoLovesFood »

I totally get why you're worried about the handle length, OP.
Maxwell89

Post by Maxwell89 »

Thank you so much for sharing your concerns, OP!
Archer47

Post by Archer47 »

I can understand the concern about handle length, but I think it's worth considering how the weight and balance of the 38C might compensate for its length.
DanInMotion

Post by DanInMotion »

Here's a clear and concise response:

"I'd say it's all about balance. The 38C's weight can offset its length, making it feel more manageable. Try holding it with a light grip, letting the razor's weight do the work.