Review of Merkur 37C

QuinnQuest

Review of Merkur 37C

Post by QuinnQuest »

The Merkur 37C Heavy Duty Safety Razor is a true classic in the world of wet shaving. As someone who has thick and coarse facial hair, finding a razor that can handle the job without causing irritation has always been a challenge. After extensive research and hearing positive feedback, I decided to give the Merkur 37C a try, and it certainly lives up to its reputation.

First and foremost, the design and build quality of the Merkur 37C are exceptional. The razor features a two-piece design and has a heavy, sturdy feel in the hand, weighing in at approximately 3 ounces. The slant guard is the standout feature, designed specifically to tackle heavy beards and tough skin. The slant guard works by slicing through whiskers at an angle, making it less aggressive than a straight guard, which is ideal for those of us with sensitive skin.

The handle is made of chrome-plated brass and features a cross-hatch knurled pattern, which provides a secure and non-slip grip even when wet or soapy. The razor's weight is perfectly balanced, with the balance point midway up the handle, making it comfortable to hold and maneuver. The handle length is about 3.25 inches, which I found to be just the right size for controlled shaving.

Performance-wise, the Merkur 37C does not disappoint. The razor is very efficient at removing whiskers, including in tricky areas like under the jawline, upper lip, and chin. The slanted design helps it navigate these areas more effectively than other razors I've used. While it is considered moderately aggressive (around a 6 on the aggressiveness scale), I found that with the right technique, I could achieve a close, irritation-free shave. The key is to use very light pressure—almost letting the razor's weight do all the work—and to shave at a steep angle, known as "riding the bar."

In my experience, the Merkur 37C delivers a Baby Butt Smooth (BBS) shave with just one or two passes, which is impressive. The razor is compatible with all standard double-edge blades, and I often use Astra Super Platinum blades for a gentle yet close shave. However, it's worth noting that the razor does have a learning curve, especially for beginners. If you're new to wet shaving or slant bar razors, it might take a few shaves to get used to the technique and avoid nicks and cuts.

On the downside, some users have reported concerns about Merkur's quality control, though I personally have not encountered any issues with my 37C. I've read that the finish isn't quite as refined as other high-end razors like Edwin Jagger or Parker, but this hasn't affected its performance in my case. Additionally, the razor’s aggressive nature may cause razor burn or nicks if used with too much pressure, especially on sensitive areas like the chin.

In conclusion, the Merkur 37C Heavy Duty Safety Razor is a robust, efficient, and well-designed tool that excels at providing a close shave with minimal irritation for those with heavy beards. While it may not be the best choice for absolute beginners due to its learning curve, experienced wet shavers or those willing to practice will find it a valuable addition to their shaving arsenal. Its combination of durability, performance, and classic design makes it a worthy investment for anyone serious about wet shaving.
OscarOutdoors

Post by OscarOutdoors »

Great review, very informative!
Isaac45

Post by Isaac45 »

What a fantastic review! So helpful!
Theo91

Post by Theo91 »

Thank you for the detailed review! It’s incredibly helpful for deciding if the Merkur 37C is right for me.