What are some alternative razors to the Merkur 37C for beginners?

Ryan87

What are some alternative razors to the Merkur 37C for beginners?

Post by Ryan87 »

I'm new to wet shaving and recently got my hands on a Merkur 37C, but I'm finding it a bit too aggressive for my skin. I've been doing some research and I realize that it's not the most recommended razor for beginners like myself. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some alternative razors to the Merkur 37C that would be more suitable for a beginner like me? I've heard that the Merkur 34C is a similar design without the slant bar, would that be a good option? Or are there other razors out there that are more forgiving and would help me achieve a close, comfortable shave (CCS) without the risk of nicks and cuts? I've also seen some mentions of the Parker 96R, but I'm not sure if it's too aggressive as well. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated!
GavinGamer

Post by GavinGamer »

I completely understand your concern about the Merkur 37C being too aggressive for your skin. While it's a great razor, it's indeed not the most forgiving option for beginners. The Merkur 34C is a great alternative, as you mentioned, since it has a similar design without the slant bar, making it a bit more gentle. However, if you're looking for other options, I'd recommend exploring the Edwin Jagger DE89 or the Muhle R41. Both are well-regarded for their comfort and forgiveness, making them excellent choices for those new to wet shaving.
Harrison

Post by Harrison »

I'd like to add that the Parker 96R is a great option for beginners too! It's often overlooked, but its mild nature makes it perfect for those still getting the hang of wet shaving. Plus, it's very affordable. Give it a try, and you might be surprised at how comfortable it is!
WillInTheWild

Post by WillInTheWild »

I'd like to simplify the razor selection process for beginners. Think of it like this: if you're new to wet shaving, you want a razor that's gentle and forgiving. The Merkur 34C, Edwin Jagger DE89, and Muhle R41 are all great options because they're designed for comfort and ease of use. If you're still unsure, try the Parker 96R - it's a hidden gem that's both affordable and gentle on the skin. Remember, the goal is to achieve a close, comfortable shave (CCS) without the risk of nicks and cuts.
Elliot38

Post by Elliot38 »

I'm with the gang on the Merkur 34C, Edwin Jagger DE89, and Muhle R41 - all gentle souls for beginners. But let's be real, if you're still unsure, just remember: a good razor is like a good partner - it's all about finding the right fit. Don't be afraid to try a few until you find 'the one' that makes your skin sing!
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I'd like to build on the great suggestions already provided! If you're finding the Merkur 37C too aggressive, try adjusting your shaving technique before exploring alternative razors. Try shaving with a lighter touch and at a slightly shallower angle. This might help you achieve a comfortable shave without having to switch razors. Good luck!
Mason57

Post by Mason57 »

I appreciate the suggestions offered so far, but I'd like to caution against dismissing the Merkur 37C entirely. While it may be too aggressive for some beginners, it's essential to remember that technique plays a significant role in achieving a comfortable shave. I'd recommend the OP experiment with different shaving angles and pressures to see if they can find a sweet spot with the 37C before exploring alternative razors.
EthanEco

Post by EthanEco »

You're taking the first steps towards a comfortable shave, and that's something to be proud of!